A77 firmware update 1.05 Power off response test. The menu&dial response test can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o93fAsFCMo. Our reader Cheong posted another video on facebook (Click here).
Finally the new 1.05 firmware update is out! The official press release can be found here. Direct download links are here:
Here is the official improvement list:
• Adding an automatic lens correction support: 24/2 ZA, 85/1.4 ZA, 135/1.8 ZA, 70-300/4.5-5.6 G, DT35/1.8, DT50/1.8
• Improve the response until the power turns off and then actually from “OFF” the power switch
• Improved response
• Improved response before dialing until you see the two improved auto reviews. Response, the dial after
• Improve response of AF (SAL500F40G) 3. 500mm F4 G SSM
• Improve the accuracy of auto focus in the scene, including the four bright spots. (Only SLT-A77)
• Five other improvement.
The firmware is not available or mentioned on Sony Europe and US sites. I am continually updating this post. Please let our readers know how the new firmware works on your camera!
Here are the first User reports:
Michael: “This time the performance improvements are actually noticeable. Auto-review is now usable, and turning off the camera is as fast as with earlier models. I recommend 1.05 for everybody!”
Lifeispixels: “Speed of both control dials is now greatly improved. The number no longer lags behind when turning the dial quickly. Turning off time is also swift. No longer had to wait a few seconds before the AF motor turns the lens to infinity. Now just switch off and the motor turns the AF to infinity immediately.”
Shaokee: “holy shit, the camera’s response towards both dial turns is amazing. and switching the camera off is very quick. highly recommend this update!”
Rui: “Installed! start and shut down is instant. dials very responsive. Thanks Sony!”
Cody: “Update applied and it is definitely a big improvement in responsiveness, much more than 1.04 was. If I’m being picky, the lag isn’t completely gone but much improved. The usable auto-review is very nice. Startup is faster (and consequently waking up from sleep is faster). I never cared about the shutdown time, but it is fast now. Overall, it now feels like I’m not beta testing this camera anymore”
Fotowolf: “On/Off-delay is now a fraction of a second (not 5 seconds any more). Looks like they removed the debugging-flag while compiling the source code. Overall performance is excellent. Even AV speed has improved. The only issue that I have noticed: microAF adjustments do not work anymore”
Cheong: “1. the dials are VERY responsive now. it feels like the a850 and my old a230 now.
2. the switch off time is def better, just a tad slower than the a850 (from my impression of using it in occasions)
3. the auto review now will not have the ‘now loading’ screen popping out and will immediately display your pic. even when i use single shot and take a few continuous photos, it will just display immediately. the minus though is that you are effectively doing blind shooting when you do that. However, when you take e shot, see your review, and immediately release and half press the shutter, it will go back to the EVF live view very very very quickly. so now its just a lame excuse if you say the EVF is making you miss shots!” (video on facebook)