There are two big electronic shows to come. On January 8th the CES event in Las Vegas and on January 31st the CP+ show in Yokohama. And I have been told that Sony will split their product announcements in two. At the CES show Sony will introduce new Cybershot cameras and new Camcorders. While they will likely announce new NEX and SLT products at the CP+ show.
I have been told the new Cybershot cameras are not really exciting. And I am yet not 100% sure which of the rumored SLT and NEX camera/Lens is going to be announced at the CP+ show and what is coming in April-May. As I told you the last few weeks we Sony is going to introduce:
1) four new A-mount lenses within the first half of the year (50mm Zeiss, 18-270mm DT, 70-200mm and 70-400mm). It’s very likely that the 18-270mm and the 50mm f/1.4 Zeiss will be introduced at the CP+ show (That’s SR4).
2) Two new SLT cameras will be announced within the first half of the year. Both APS-C, both with new sensor and features. The first SLT camera should be a low end model. it may be displayed at the CP+ show.
3) A couple of new NEX lenses are also coming. One could be the 85mm f/1.8 lens. Also likely to come at the CP+ show.
4) Still no 100% reliable news on the NEX front. But new I have been told a new entry level NEX is coming within the first half of 2013.
5) 100% sure, no FF NEX and no FF SLT within the first half of the year.
As I said, I am very confident that this is the NEX/SLT stuff that we will see the next few months. I am not yet sure about the exact timing also because sometimes I don’t know if sources actually send me the announcement period or the in Stock timing
What about the surprises? Yep, there is room for a new RX10 while major news should arrive the second half of the year. But that is still a rumor I have to investigate before I can be sure of that!
Reminder (SR = Sonyrumor):
SR1=probably fake rumor
SR2=rumor from unknown sources
SR3=50% chance it is correct
SR4=rumor from known sources
SR5=almost certainly correct!