The Japanese website digitalcamera.jp had a chance to talk with Sony about the new Sony A1. Some key findings:
– For the first time Sony officially says this new Alpha is a “Flagship” model.
– The goal was to make a camera that can do “everything” of the cameras of the line below.
– for the first time the BIONZ XR itself has a built-in LSI
– Some older lenses autofocus may can’t cope with the 30fps AF-C shooting (they may shoot at 15/20fps instead of 30fps)
– third party lenses will do 15fps
Their full google translated text:
- Sony has not called it a flagship (any model of α), but this time “α1” is our first flagship.
- A model that can do everything.
- A little less than 900,000 yen including tax and 800,000 yen excluding tax.
- A model that can include everything.
- The image sensor uses a newly developed CMOS sensor with a built-in memory of 50.1 mega.
- The image processing engine is two “BIONZ XR” that I started using from “7S III”. 8 times more processing than before.
- In “α9”, front-end LSI and BIONZ were used in combination.
- This time, the BIONZ XR itself has a built-in LSI. Two BIONZs cover Type A and Type B.
- AF tracking. 4K120. AF calculation 120 times per second.
- The GUI realized with “α7S III” is also realized with the new BIONZ.
- RAW and JPEG recording for each card is also achieved with the new BIONZ XR.
- 30 frames per second for still images. No buffer clogging in CFexpress Type A.
- The continuous shooting speed can also be changed.
- Some AF-C lenses cannot catch up. The main FE lens supports 30 frames, but the one with a large lens drive system may have up to 20 frames or 15 frames.
- The lenses of other companies are full of 15 frames due to the actuator. Please use a genuine lens.
- AF is 120 times per second. No blackout. It is also effective for AEs with many changes in brightness. Follows with a delay of 0.033 seconds at the fastest.
- Flash tuning is possible with an electronic shutter. You can shoot with a silent flash or while chasing.
- Synchronize in 1/400 seconds with a mechanical shutter. Newly developed shutter unit. Equipped with an electromagnetic drive actuator as well as a spring. Achieves high speed with spring and electronic drive.
- Dynamic range is 15 stops. Sensitivity is ISO 32000 for regular use and 102400 for extended use.
- APS-C with 21 million pixels.
- Anti-distortion is 1.5 times that of α9. Since the reading is fast and the processing is good, it does not distort even with an electronic shutter.
- Flickerless is possible with an electronic shutter. Also equipped with high-frequency flickerless function of α9II.
- Creative style becomes creative look. Adjustable in 9 steps. Even if you take a JPEG and put it out, you can make your own favorite picture. For the function that can be cut out with JPEG.
- 16 pixel shift multis are about 200 million pixels.
- For RAW, lossless compressed RAW. For 50-80% capacity.
- Supports 10bit HEIF.
- Even with 50 million pixels, the phase difference is 759 points. Coverage rate is 92%.
- Equipped with bird pupil recognition. However, pelicans are hard.
- 8K video is supported. You can make a beautiful 8K30P by oversampling. Also 4K120P.
- S-Log shooting. Equipped with S-CINE TONE. For the same quality as for movies.
- Image stabilization is also electronic image stabilization. Active mode electronic image stabilization is possible.
- Fast hybrid AF. At 8K, the manual is impossible. 8K with AF focused neatly.
- Even with 8K30P, it is possible to shoot for about 30 minutes with heat dissipation characteristics.
- The viewfinder has 9.44 million dots. The refresh rate is 240fps.
- WiFi is twice as much as before. Compatible with USB 3.2. Equipped with 1000BASE-T.
- Simultaneous announcement of Xperia PRO. Smartphones that professional photographers and creators want to use.
- HDMI input is possible. You can see what you took with α with Xperia and fly with 5G. 4K compatible with BT2020.
And these are Patrick Murphy-Race thoughts on the new A1: