10 days ago we launched the Alpha lens poll (the E-mount lens poll will start soon). We had 2681 unique voters (every IP-address has one vote only). Everyone had to choose a maximum of 5 lenses and we had a toal of 11,387 votes.
I have no contact to Sony so I hope Sony is reading our website to evaluate the results
So what are the conclusion we can take form the results?
1) To my surprise the most requested lens is the 70-200mm Zeiss. If we sum bot lenses (with 2.8 and the 4.0 aperture) we have a total of 1017 votes (not single voters). 38% of you wanted that lens!
2) The second most requested lens is the 24-105mm f/4 (Zeiss or G). If we sum that with the 24–120mm f/2.8 (probably the 2.8 is an impossible aperture for such a wide zoom range) we have a total of 839 votes (31%)
3) The most requested prime lens is the 35mm f/1.8 (for a low-cost alternative to the G). Combine that with the High-Quality 35mm f/1.4 (Zeiss) 788 votes of people looking for a 35mm (29%)
4) The 50mm f/1.0 SSM (Zeiss) has been voted 402 times (15%). If you combine that with other fast lenses (f/1.2 and f/1.4 and f/1.8) we have a total of 746votes (27%)
5) Both 85mm lenses (1.8 and 1.2) are very requested lenses with a total of 685 votes (25%)
In short, many of you are willing to pay a lot of money for High-Quality lenses like the 70-200mm, 24-105mm and three classic fast ZEISS primes like the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lens.
I know some of you think that many lenses were redundant. I am not a POLL expert but when I studied Psychology one of the secret to have reliable polls was to repeat the same question in different forms to be sure the person answer is correct. That’s why I have choosen to give similar options. That prooves that the 70-200mm and the 24-105/120mm lenses are really wanted by our readers!
Also the unrealistic options do have a sense to see where people “tends” to vote. Of course there wll be never a 24-120mm f/2.8 lens but the fact that this lens has been voted prooves that wider zoom range lenses with very fast aperture are something that gets attention by the mass.
P.S.: Olympus made the 35-100mm f/2.0 Lens!…so fast zoom lenses are not impossible to make!
Take a look at the final results: