10 days ago we launched the Alpha lens poll (the E-mount lens poll will start soon). We had 2681 unique voters (every IP-address has one vote only). Everyone had to choose a maximum of 5 lenses and we had a toal of 11,387 votes.
I have no contact to Sony so I hope Sony is reading our website to evaluate the results :)
So what are the conclusion we can take form the results?
1) To my surprise the most requested lens is the 70-200mm Zeiss. If we sum bot lenses (with 2.8 and the 4.0 aperture) we have a total of 1017 votes (not single voters). 38% of you wanted that lens!
2) The second most requested lens is the 24-105mm f/4 (Zeiss or G). If we sum that with the 24–120mm f/2.8 (probably the 2.8 is an impossible aperture for such a wide zoom range) we have a total of 839 votes (31%)
3) The most requested prime lens is the 35mm f/1.8 (for a low-cost alternative to the G). Combine that with the High-Quality 35mm f/1.4 (Zeiss) 788 votes of people looking for a 35mm (29%)
4) The 50mm f/1.0 SSM (Zeiss) has been voted 402 times (15%). If you combine that with other fast lenses (f/1.2 and f/1.4 and f/1.8) we have a total of 746votes (27%)
5) Both 85mm lenses (1.8 and 1.2) are very requested lenses with a total of 685 votes (25%)
In short, many of you are willing to pay a lot of money for High-Quality lenses like the 70-200mm, 24-105mm and three classic fast ZEISS primes like the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lens.
I know some of you think that many lenses were redundant. I am not a POLL expert but when I studied Psychology one of the secret to have reliable polls was to repeat the same question in different forms to be sure the person answer is correct. That’s why I have choosen to give similar options. That prooves that the 70-200mm and the 24-105/120mm lenses are really wanted by our readers!
Also the unrealistic options do have a sense to see where people “tends” to vote. Of course there wll be never a 24-120mm f/2.8 lens but the fact that this lens has been voted prooves that wider zoom range lenses with very fast aperture are something that gets attention by the mass.
P.S.: Olympus made the 35-100mm f/2.0 Lens!…so fast zoom lenses are not impossible to make!
Take a look at the final results: