Sony is doing a very fine job controlling information leaks much stronger than they did with the Xperia or QX announcement in early September. But I expect specs of the new cameras to be posted the coming 1-2 weeks. In the meantime here are some SR5 rumors the last weeks and this is a roundup to remind you what could be announced soon. These are all SR5 ranked rumors which means that there is a 90% chance the info is correct:
1) At least one NEX-FF will be announced in October.
2) The camera will be displayed at the PhotoPlus show in New York City which starts on October 23.
3) The NEX-FF has a NEX-7 shape but it’s a tiny bit bigger
4) There will be a second (cheaper) NEX-FF model. We don’t know yet if it will be announced in October or a couple of months later (early 2014).
5) There will be an ILCE-7 or A7 E-mount APS-C and DSLR shaped camera (we don’t know yet if it will be announced in October or in early 2014. But the chances are good it’s coming in October already)
6) There will be a Full Frame ILCE-9 or A9 (also here we don’t know if it will be announced in October or early 2014).
7) There will be new FE (“F”ull Frame “E”-mount) lenses. The Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, a 24-70mm Zeiss, a cheaper kit zoom and maybe another portrait lens (85mm f/1.8).
8) 70-200mm GII A-mount lens (October or early 2014)
9) Sony RX10 will be announced in October (likely an APS-C fixed lens camera)
-> 10) SR4: Although not coming via my own sources I am now pretty confident that a new NEX-7R will be announced soon too! Hope trusted sources can confirm it so that I can rank it SR5!
All other rumors like the Z-shift sensor tech, A-mount mirrorless cameras, the SAL-120F28 and SEL-70400G2 lenses are ranked between SR3 and SR4. I hope to get some more info about that the next couple of days!
Important note: A-mount camera owners really shouldn’t be worried! Your “rumor time” will come soon too!
Message to sources: You can send me more info anonymously by using the contact form you see on the very right of your browser. You can also contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For readers: Subscribe the RSS feed (Click here) and Twitter (Click here) stream and the Facebook fan page (Click here) in order to not miss any news!
Reminder (SR = Sonyrumor):
SR1=probably fake rumor
SR2=rumor from unknown sources
SR3=50% chance it is correct
SR4=rumor from known sources
SR5=almost certainly correct!