Image on top: The A99 FF sensor
Two months ago I gave you a shock by telling you that Sony canceled the planed A-mount camera releases for 2013. This means not entry level FF, not high end FF and not A77 successor will come within the next 6 months. The reason why Sony dropped them is that the new CEO wants to really challenge the Canon-Nikon dominance in the only profitable pro camera market. And to achieve that goal the new cameras have to be not just a small upgrade but a real new big step forward over the predecessors. I am now working on the new A-mount roadmap. And I got some reliable info about the new Full Frame strategy:
1) Two new A-mount Full Frame cameras coming in 2014
2) There is a third A-mount Full Frame camera planed but it may be released in early 2015.
3) All new Full Frame cameras will be mirrorless (this means DSLR shape, A-mount, but no SLT mirror).
4) Both cameras will use a new generation 30+ MP sensor (yes, I said new and not the same of the Nikon D800…it’s better!).
There are a few more specs I am working on and I am asking all my trusted or possible new sources to share what they know at firstname.lastname@example.org (or via anonymous contact form). Thanks!
Editor’s note: Also the E-mount roadmap got some small changes. That’s why it takes so long to see the new NEX-7 successor. Don’t worry, that camera is coming this year with announcement likely to be in late August.
Free advertising form my new project: All daily Sony deals can be seen at dealsrunner.com (register to see how well it works!).
We still have to wait til July to get the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 lens. But there is already a 220 pound savings at Powerdirect UK. The same lens is priced 1300 pund at Amazon UK. By the way, Amazon UK says they ship on may 30 but that has to be a mistake. Anywya, would be glad if some UK reader can give us some feedback about the store. Thanks!
One more UK lens news: The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is now shipping to Europe via eBay UK sellers (Click here).
US readers can enjoy a terrific deal at Rakuten (Click here). For today only you get a 20% cash back in bonus dollars on all stuff! Basically if you buy the A99 (here for 2789$) you will get back 55,600 Rakuten points worth exactly $558! If my explanation didn’t work out fine read that page at Rakuten to learn all details.
20% cash back…wish there would be something like that in Europe too!
Thanks Joem for finding this!
The official Asian Samyang retailer unveiled via Facebook the first picture and specs of the new Samyang 16mm f/2.0 lens. It will come in both A and E-mount versions mount too. They write: “The 16mm focus length with rectilinear imaging system ensure extra wide angle of view amounting to 83.1 degrees (for Nikon version and 79.5 for Canon). The big aperture opening of F2.0 ensure photographers able to use it for low light environment like night street shooting. The weight of the lens is just about 571g, as a result this lens will be a attractive carry on for architecture and landscape shooting.” P.S.: Save this search on Slidoo to get notified when the Samyang lens will be available one Bay.
I like Rokinon/Samyang lenses a lot and I recommend you the following two lenses for Alpha mount:
1) The 35mm f/1.4: In US you can find it as Rokinon at Amazon (Click here), Adorama (Click here), BHphoto (Click here) and on eBay (Click here). In Europe the name is Samyang and you can find it on eBay (Click here) and with the name Wallimex again on eBay (Click here).
2) The 85mm f/1.4: You can get for $274 on Amazon (Click here), branded with the name Rokinon on eBay (Click here) and branded with the name Samyang on eBay (Click here).
And here are the links to the newly announced Samyang/Rokinon lenses:
8mm f/3.5 fisheye at Amazon, BHphoto,
14mm f/2.8 at Amazon, BHphoto,
24mm f/1.4 at Amazon, BHphoto,
35mm f/1.4 at Amazon, BHphoto,
85mm f/1.4 at Amazon, BHphoto,