Reminder: At 17:000 Berlin time you will be able to follow the QX lens camera announcement live on SonyAlphaRumors!
SonyAlphaRumors is a small website that usually focuses on Sony A and E-mount cameras and lenses. But these cameras never have been as popular as Canon and Nikon. But for the first time in 15 years Sony is about to break all records with the new QX Lens Camera announcement. According to multiple sources almost all big stores from Asia, Europe and North America already preordered more QX cameras than any other A or E-mount, Cybershot or RX cameras released before. These are the info I got from them:
1) All major US and EU stores preordered more QX100 and QX10 cameras than any other Sony camera before (in terms of item numbers and large stock preorders from stores (not from single buyers)).
2) Most stores will be highly active in showing and promoting the new QX lenscameras. Example: See the Mediamarkt homepage right now (Mediamarkt is one of the largest Tech stores in Europe!).
3) Some of the sources said the great thing about the QX camera is that is unique. The current lens kits for smartphone (here at Amazon US) cannot compete with QX in terms of image quality and versatility. The new QX lenscameras are seen as the best way to “replace” the dying compact camera market. And stores are looking forward to sell QX to cover the “loss”.
4) Most store owners told me that the QX lenscameras are priced right. Usually companies tend to over price their new products, particularly if it’s something with little or no competition o market. But the QX100 for example is priced $250 below the RX100MII camera ($748 at Amazon) that has exactly the same lens can sensor!
5) Sony will focus on delivering specific accessories for the most popular cameras. For example there will be special iPhone cases with built-in lenscamera mount. I have been told the Playmemory APP is very basic but it will be improved in time.
Here are the most important specs on the new QX lenscameras:
There will be two QX cameras now, the QX10 and QX100. More QX cameras to be annouced early 2014. Body material of the QX cameras is plastic. They have built-in Stereo Mic, Contrast Detection AF, Touchfocus AF (on smartphone), face detection. QX100 has 20.2 Megapixel and ISO 160-6000. QX10 has 18.2 Megapxiel and ISO 100-12,800, both with WiFi and NFC connectivity, tripod mount, FullHD, has microSD slot, shoots JPG (no RAW available), in lens stabilization, and you can control zoom, exposure, white balance, and focus on your mobile device.
The QX10 costs $250 and lens and sensor are from the Sony WX150 ($400 on Amazon).. QX100 costs $500 and lens and sensor are from the RX100MII camera ($748 at Amazon).
See you at SonyAlphaRumors.com at 17:00 Berlin time!!! Preorder links and reviews will be posted here as soon as I find them!
Message to sources: You can send me more info anonymously by using the contact form you see on the very right of your browser. You can also contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder (SR = Sonyrumor):
SR1=probably fake rumor
SR2=rumor from unknown sources
SR3=50% chance it is correct
SR4=rumor from known sources
SR5=almost certainly correct!