Sony Japan announced that it is considering to split-off the Imaging Business. This is part of their strategy to create a more “flexible company”. Other departments like the TV Business and semiconductor business already got thought the spin-off procedure.
Sony Corporation as a headquarter will focus on those functions (google translated text from japanese):
- Headquarters: Responsibility for the Sony Group’s overall strategy and governance, and oversight of their execution
- R&D: Leadership of Sony’s differentiation and creativity through technological innovation
- New Business: Incubation of new businesses in areas beyond Sony’s current business domains
- Brand Design: To enhance Sony’s brand value and implement horizontal Group-wide initiatives
- Professional Services: To support the operations of the Sony Group following the completion of the splitting out process
What does this mean for the Imaging Business? Well they will become sort of financially and strategically more independent. This should lead to a faster decision structure. The Imaging Business is already profitable. Unlike the TV Business which went thought a big crisis the Imaging Business doesn’t have to worry to stand on their own feet.