So folks, at first I called this rumor bullshit because I didn’t trust the source of the info and odd timing (right after A7sIII launch). But now reliable sources who also gave me the correct A7sIII rumors confirmed this camera is real (although with some changes on the other rumor…like price info and additional Megapixel info). So here is what they told to me:
- Sony will launch a new High End camera in Q1 2021
- It will be named as an A9x series camera and not A7x (not sure if it’s “A9s” or “A9III”)
- It has a new ~50 megapixel sensor
- 8k30p video confirmed with no overheating. It’s still an “infant” 8k mode…meaning it’s not 8k60 which would be crazy and there will be limitations in the quality you can record internally.
- Other specs similar to A7sIII (EVF, autofocus, and so forth)
- At least $1,500 more expensive than the EOS-R5 (but price hasn’t be finalized yet) Expect something like $4,999-$5,499
Apparently Sony wants to show they can outperform the EOS-R5. And they do not consider it a threat to A7sIII sales because of the way more expensive price. This camera is also meant for the use at the Olympics (so I have been told) which seems to suggest that this might be more of a A9II successor on steroids.
P.S.: Somebody wants to buy Sony A7rIV? :)