Lenstip tested the new lens and writes:
Like in the case of the Sony FE 35 mm f/1.4 GM, tested by us not so long ago, our summary will be short. It seems Sony is on a winning streak – they managed to launch another outstanding lens on the market. It deserves our ‘Editor’s Choice’ badge just for the way it performs at the maximum relative aperture but the list of its assets doesn’t end here. This list is really long and impressive. A round of applause!
- solid and sealed mechanical construction,
- sensational image quality in the frame centre up from the maximum relative aperture,
- very good image quality on the edge of the APS-C sensor,
- good image quality on the edge of full frame,
- properly corrected longitudinal chromatic aberration,
- slight lateral chromatic aberration,
- moderate distortion,
- decent coma correction,
- moderate vignetting on the APS-C sensor,
- good performance against bright light,
- very pleasant out-of-focus areas,
- quite fast, silent and accurate autofocus.
- high vignetting on full frame.
Sony 50mm f/1.2 GM video review and comparison samples (Magicweddingphotographer).