Sony A7 + Cosina Voightlander 12/5.6. — at Tsim Tsa Tsui, Hong Kong.
1) Submit your picture with a message and picture here: facebook.com/sonyalpharumors.
2) Like and comment the pictures from other readers here: facebook.com/sonyalpharumors/photos.
3) A selection of most liked pictures by the community and by me SAR admin will be posted weekly on SAR.
A couple of years ago nobody would have ever questioned the leadership of Canon and Nikon in the system camera market. But things are quickly changing and Nikon reported a huge loss and forceast drop at their latest financial report. Why should we care?
1) First question is if Nikon will try to compete against Sony’s A7 series or not by proposing a sort of mirrorless FM camera. I guess we will see soon at Photokina if Nikon will finally react.
2) In the meantime their latest D610 with Sony’s 24MP sensor sells for $1399 only on eBay (Click here). May be a sign that they are trying to force sales. And I bet we will see soon Full Frame cameras for just $1,000 too.
3) Will Nikon still try to rely on Sony sensors or try to break boundaries with something more revolutionary made from their own house or non-Sony partners?
My bet is that Sony will surpass Nikon in terms of system camera sales in two years from now… 🙂
I guess most of you know how car maker (particularly German car makers) are focusing on image sensor technology to create save cars. And according to Nikkei Sony is ready to conquer the automotive image sensor market too. Aptina and OmniVision are the current leaders but Sony aims to eventually pick up 50% of the market.
The interesting news here is that Sony developed a new special sensor for automotive applications which is “10 times as sensitive to light as existing chips, allowing for easier detection of objects in dark environments. The sensor can provide a color display of the surrounding area even in moonlight, enabling it to detect obstacles more readily than a driver can.”
The sensor will be ready for late 2015.
via Image Sensor World.
Don’t worry, you can also use a more “Portable” set:
This is what Cinoflex thinks about the A7s:
The tests are very good. Everything you would expect from this camera. Our specific tests we’re focused on lens fall-off and sensor reaction. The DR was also very surprising, great tonal rendition in the shadows. For this camera the biggest challenge is the infrastructure (for lack of more familiar terms THE RIG). It is important for professional camera crews to use this camera (or any camera) in a traditional fashion, the CINOFLEX, gave the SONY A7S camera that ability. Truly a WOW camera for the quality of the sensor and ability to capture lens fall-off, focus cylinder moves, and the full frame quality image. We are shooting anamorphic Panavision tests soon, that is the true test to see how this camera can make a difference within the marketplace.
This is what we loved about the SONY A7S Camera. Details about this video grab: Camera: SONY A7S PP: SLOG2 Lens: 200mm Stop: T3.1 Color: 3200K SS: 1/50 ISO 3200 ————- so we shot directly into a light to desaturate the image and lose any detail, then we overexposed by 4 stops. The ungraded image is on the right, the graded image is on the left. With very little effort or manipulation we found good contrast, detail, shadows, highlight control, and sharpness was easily recovered. The lens fall off was also very pronounced and truly magnificent.
Sony A7s store links:
Sony A7s preorder in USA/CA at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, Sony USA, Sony Canada.
Sony A7s EU pages: Sony DE, UK, ES, FR, IT, NL, BE, AT, CH, SE, NO, FI, PL. And Wex UK.
A7s Gariz leather case in Black (Click here), Brown (Click here), Red (Click here) and Orange (Click here).