Today Sony had a 5-hour meeting with analysts and investors:
Sony IR Day 2019 (IR = Investor Relations). Sony.net…
The portion of the presentation dedicated inter alia to cameras and lenses: Sony.net…
The same document from last year’s meeting (22 May 2018): Sony.net…
In both cases the most interesting slide is the last one, dedicated to market shares and market ranks:
Between FY2017 (April 2017 – March 2018) and FY2018 (April 2018 – March 2019):
- The still camera market went down from ¥1,400bn to ¥1,300bn i.e. a decrease of 7.1%. This is coherent with CIPA shipment figures (cameras + lenses), which lead to a 8.3% decrease.
- Sony’s share in the still camera market went up, from 20% to 24%.
- Sony’s share in the ILC + interchangeable lens market went up, from 19% to 23%.
- Sony is now #2 on this market (#3 in FY2017), behind Canon but ahead of Nikon.
- Sony’s share in the compact camera market went up, from 26% to 29%.
- Sony is now #1 on this market (#2 in FY2017).
- (it could be a typo, the data is surprising) the video camera market went down from ¥390bn to ¥300bn i.e. a decrease of 23%.
- Sony’s share in this market remained stable: 29%.
Time to sound the bugle!
Thanks Mistral for finding the links.