Rumors about a Sony medium format camera keep surfacing from time to time. The info we got recently was:
– Fixed lens RX camera
– Zeiss prime (35mm FF equivalent)
– 50 megapixel sensors (same used by new Hasselblad/PhaseOne/Pentax medium formats)
– Built-in EVF
– Smaller and cheaper(!) than any other medium format cameras out there. It’s cheaper than the new Pentax 645
And now new rumors via Photorumors shared some more details:
- 50 megapixel medium format CMOS sensor (probably made by Sony)
- Two versions will be sold under the Mamiya and Sony brands
- Only the Sony version will have an EVF
- The Mamiya model will have an OVF with OLED focus peaking
- The lenses will also be sold under the Sony/Zeiss and Mamiya brands
- New magnet-based lens attachment
- The cameras will have 4 black classic control dials
Those are conflicting rumors (or maybe two different cameras?). My guess is that a fixed lens camera is more likely. Sony is struggling quite a bit to deliver the FE lenses and I cannot imagine them yet make new lenses for a new system too..
Message to sources: You can send me more info anonymously by using the contact form you see on the very right of your browser. You can also contact me directly at email@example.com.
For readers: Subscribe the RSS feed (Click here) and Twitter (Click here) stream and the Facebook fan page (Click here) in order to not miss any news!
Reminder (SR = Sonyrumor):
SR1=probably fake rumor
SR2=rumor from unknown sources
SR3=50% chance it is correct
SR4=rumor from known sources
SR5=almost certainly correct!