Sony A7/A7r Making from soulstory on Vimeo.
This is the next SAR readers legacy lens roundup. I hope you will find it very useful! Again thanks to all readers for sending their links to their tests. A fourth roundup will be posted soon. Keep sending your tests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stefan: I tested a bunch of 50mm lenses on my a7r, have a look: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjN5kr12
I shoot mainly food, so this setup is a test for most problems I encounter in my work. I had to use a metabones mk1, because my mk3 stopped working, therefore the EF lenses vignette
I had my A7r almost two week ago with Zeiss 35mm f2.8. Models tested so far (By preference):
1. Zeiss 35mm f2.8 (here on Amazon): Sharp at f2.8, autofocus. I have notice that the Zeiss is almost on par with a Sigma 35mm f1.4 @f2.8.
2. Canon FD 50mm f1.8 (here on eBay).: Big surprise. Big pros is the resolution (I am impressed to see such achievement for a 40 year old lens ! it easily beats the Minolta 50mm f1.7 wide open). Cons is chromatic aberration. While I noticed it a lot on a x2 crop factor sensor (GH3). On the A7r it’s only noticeable on really bright environment.
3. Samyang 85mm f1.4 (here on Amazon): Sharp, @1.4 actually sharper than the Canon 50mm @1.8. BUT the focus is way too hard to move. I would need to try the cine lens version. I love the image, but focusing make things really slow….
4. Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 (here on eBay): Amazing piece of glass for the size (really small wide angle)… It’s a really good glass for travellers. From previous reviews I was expecting a lot of color shifting…. This is not really the case (and you can correct it easily ) ! Cons : it’s soft at f4.5 (way softer than a Samyang 14mm T3.1).
5. Minolta 50mm f1.7 on LA-EA4 (here on eBay): Focuses quite fast… but the image is really soft wide angle. I used a lot the the Voigtlander 25mm f.95 (GH3) and I found this lens softer wide open (compared to the Voigtlander @f0.95).
Also : Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 (here on eBay): Not sharp at f1.2… This lens is not for pixel peepers (Sorry I am used to the Sigma 35mm f1.4)…
This is a first overview.
On the cameras:
– Sharp image… Legacy lenses react surprisingly well !
– Focuses fast in good light (not as fast as a GH3 with 17mm f1.. I do not do a lot of flash photography but I didn’t noticed a lot of lag with the Canon 430 EX 2
– Haven’t notice any shutter lag.
– Using manual lenses of the LA-EA4 I cannot always magnify the files (right after taking a picture (i.e in the next 5-10mins) I may receive a message “cannot magnify”. Not sure if this is due to the fact that this camera is taking time to proxy raw images. Please Sony, fix this !
-(on LA-EA4) : Tamron 28-300mm didn’t focus. I am not sure if this is a defect on the lens.
-(on LA-EA4) : Selection of lenses (at a reasonable price) available is not big. For the price of a Sony-Zeiss lens, it might be better to use a Leica-Zeiss-Voigtlander (leica mount).
I don’t usually use flickr, but I have uploaded a set of RAWs for you : http://www.flickr.com/photos/64670832@N03/sets/72157638313070485/
Ai: “I know A7R tests are old news now but in case you are planning another roundup I had a go with the A7R and the Zuiko 24mm f2.8 OM (one Bay) here: http://xexets.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/a-test-for-cold-a7r-with-zuiko-om-24mm.html”
Marcus: “Here is my feed with some pictures from the A7 with different Contax lenses.: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrosth/with/11233707966”
Hologon 16mm; 1:8 on eBay (Click here).
Biogon T* 21 mm; 1:2,8 on eBay (Click here).
Biogon T* 28 mm; 1:2,8 on eBay (Click here).
Planar T* 35 mm; 1:2,0 on eBay (Click here).
Planar T* 45 mm; 1:2,0 on eBay (Click here).
Sonnar T* 90 mm; 1:2,8 on eBay (Click here).
Vario-Sonnar T* 35 – 70 mm; 1:3,5-5,6 on eBay (Click here).
A7R + Leica 21mm (one Bay) super angulon results: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/s720x720/1456762_10200205535139324_269880900_n.jpg
picture posted on FullFrame Mirrorless Camera Thailand: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200205535139324&set=gm.457530824357457&type=1&theater
Teh: “You may want to share with SAR some photos taken with Sony A7 with Konica Hexanon AR 40/f1.8 (one Bay) pancake lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vibranze/tags/sonyilce7/”
Pedro: “I have posted new Sony A7r tests with Leica 50mm summicron, 35mm Elmarit and 90mm Elmarit vs Nikon D800e with Nikon 50mm f1.8G, 35mm f2D and Nikon 85mm f1.4D on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastingimages/sets”
Sony A7r + Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 Color Skopar SL II (Soundimagesplus).
I’ve got my A7r 4 weeks ago, and I’ve done a thorough Contax G lens test. G21 and G28 has heavy color shift and vignette, even worse than my nex-6 and 5n, so basically useless. G35, G45, G90 are perfect on A7r, except a very minor vignette when wide open. I also tested 2 Voigtlander for Leica M lenses (CV 15 4.5 II and CV 35 1.2 II). Same as above G lenses, CV 15 II has heavy color shift and vignette, useless for A7r. CV 35 1.2 II has minor vignette below F2.0.
I also three old DKL lenses, all perfect on A7r – Schneider 50 F1.9, Schneider 28 F4, and Voigtlander 134 F4. I think DKL lenses are really good cheap manual lenses perfect for A7r, and they are all genuine German lenses with great color and image quality.
Please find all tests at http://www.flickr.com/photos/51092680@N04/sets/72157638081323126/
Canon 17mm TS-E tilt/shift, Nikon Macro 85mm tilt/shift, Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm by Dierk Topp.
Edgar: Not a rumor but a post, using the a7r in the desert with the Canon 24-70 II (edgarcardenas.tumblr.com)
Review with A7r and ZM C Sonnar 50mm at Jkspepper.
Phil: Here is the Link to my gallery of HongKong pictures trying out my new Sony A7R with Leica M lenses (Summicron 35, CV 21 f1.8, Summicron 50)…
I love this camera and it works great with my Leica lenses. Pictures processed in LR5.3RC to correct minor color casting and vignetting when required. I use Flat Field DNG plug-in external corrections after creating a generic profile for those lenses (an easy process even forme;-D)
Part four of the legacy lens test roundup will be posted in a couple of days!
Specs and Preorders in US and Canada:
Dedicated Sony announcement page at Amazon US (Click here).
Sony A7r body at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS. TheCameraStore Canada.
Sony A7 body at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS. TheCameraStore Canada.
Sony A7 with 28-70mm kit lens at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS. TheCameraStore Canada.
Sony RX10 at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
Zeiss 24-70mm at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
Zeiss 35mm at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
Zeiss 55mm at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
70-200mm A-mount at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto.
Sony A to E adapter with mirror at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto.
A7/A7r leather case at Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
A7/A7r vertical grip at Amazon, BHphoto, SonystoreUS.
Sony W Series Battery Charger at Amazon, BHphoto.
Sony FA-CS1M Off-Camera Shoe at BHphoto.
Semi-Hard LCD Screen Protector for A7-A7r at Amazon, BHphoto.
Specs and Preorders in Europe:
Sony A7r body at Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO, PT, WexUK, WexDE.
Sony A7 body at Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO, PT, WexUK, WexDE, Amazon UK, Amazon DE, Amazon FR.
Sony A7 with 28-70mm kit Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO, PT, WexUK, WexDE, Amazon UK, Amazon DE, Amazon FR.
Sony RX10 at Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO, PT, WexUK, WexDE.
Zeiss 35mm at Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO, PT,
Zeiss 55mm at Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO, PT
Zeiss 24-70mm at Sony DE, UK, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, SE, PT
Sony G 28-70mm lens at Sony DE, FR, IT, ES, NL, BE, CH, AT, SE, FI, NO.
A7r at Digitalrev.
A7 at Digitalrev, Amazon Cina.
A7 with 28-70mm lens at Digitalrev.