There are a couple of interesting Sony related news:
– First, Sony is literally conquering the full medium format digital camera market in one single strike! Hasselblad, Phase One and now Pentax use the newly developed and first ever CMOS sensor with 50Mp. Sony just had to make one sensor to wipe out the sensor competition from that market!
– The Sony sensor is the first CMOS sensor in the MF market, it’s the first sensor that allows useable High ISO with the new Pentax going up to 204,800 ISO!
– If the rumor is correct than the Sony Mamiya 7 alike (here on eBay) digital mirrorless medium format camera will cost less than the Pentax (less than $8,500).
Full press release of the new 645Z:
51.4 effective mega-pixel CMOS sensor
Designed to meet the demands of professional photographers, the 645Z offers a 43.8mm x 32.8mm 51.4 mega-pixel CMOS sensor, which is ideal for ultra-high resolution imaging, exceptionally large printing applications and outstanding cropping flexibility.
Class leading speed and response
Built with the assumption that every second matters, the 645Z offers a fast frame rate of 3FPS, quick image processing to rapidly review images, and swift image transfer with USB 3.0 computer connection.
Versatile live view with a tiltable LCD panel
The high-resolution, tiltable, air-gapless 3.2-inch LCD monitor with approx. 1,037,000 dots offers live view for convenient framing and reviewing of image lighting. The tilting LCD is convenient for waist level or overhead shooting.
SAFOX 11 Autofocus Module
Assure the sharpest focus with the SAFOX 11 autofocus module maximizes 27 AF sensors and a vast light sensitivity range of –3EV to +18EV. The new focus module includes 25 cross sensors and three AF sensors dedicated to low light focusing.
Real Time Scene Analysis with 86,000 pixel sensor
The new Real Time Scene Analysis System features an 86,000 pixel RGB light-metering sensor and improved algorithms that further enhance accuracy of exposure, white balance and autofocusing. This assures a perfectly exposed image even in difficult lighting conditions.
With a magnesium alloy body, die cast aluminum chassis, and 76 special seals, the 645Z boasts a fully weather and coldproof design to resist water, fog, snow, sand and dust, for top performance in extreme field conditions as well as in the studio.
Anti Aliasing filterless design
Anti Aliasing filterless design achieves superior resolution for rich, detailed imagery at supreme resolution where camera settings, lens selection and shooting conditions are controlled to prevent moiré.
Beautiful, full HD movies and H.264 video
Enhance your video recording experience with full HD movie capture in the H.264 format (1920 x 1080 pixels/60i/30p), also including the ability to switch from still image to video recording with the flip of a dedicated switch. Equipped with a stereo microphone terminal for external microphone connection, the user can also adjust the audio recording level manually and visually monitor sound levels during recording.
Optional FLU, Eye-Fi Wireless, and SDXC Memory card compatibility
Perfect for studio or macro shooting situations, the optional 16 GB FLU CARD for PENTAX in the 645Z allows the photographer to remotely change settings such as aperture, shutter speed and ISO, shift the AF focus point, release the camera shutter, check a Liveview image, and browse and download images to any web browser enabled device. Eye-Fi Wireless and standard SDXC Memory cards are also compatible.
Dual SD card slots
Dual slot SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card support ensures fast and reliable storage for high resolution image files, simultaneously saving in multiple formats, assigning images to different cards based on their original format, or easily holding one memory card in reserve.
High sensitivity range of ISO 200-204800 with improved noise performance throughout, including ISO-specific noise reduction, the 645Z will be ready to perform in a wide range of light levels and shooting conditions.
Multi-pattern white balance
When shooting scenes that include multiple light sources, such as sunlight and shade or flash, light sources are recognized automatically and the image is separated into different areas. White balance is adjusted separately in each area according to the different light sources to achieve optimal colour reproduction. With a newly added Multi-Pattern Auto mode, switching back and forth between modes is easily achieved.
An HDMI port outputs high definition images, video and sound to HDTVs.
HDR Image Capture
Improved in-camera HDR image capture features more blending options and better pixel registration for easier operation without a tripod.
Customizable RAW/Fx button
Customizable RAW/Fx button allows for easy access to common shooting settings.
- Compatibility with new D FA autofocus lenses as well as older 645 lenses ensures a wide selection of PENTAX glass for a wide range of photographic applications.
- Deep, 14 Bit RAW files in PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG formats retain great detail in highlight and shadow areas of an image, and offer a high level of flexibility when processing RAW files.
- All-glass, trapezoid pentaprism viewfinder with interchangeable focusing screens offers a 98% field of view viewing angle for accurate framing applications.
- Mirror dampening hardware applies a braking action to the mirror swing, minimizing the effect of camera shake and noise levels to the image capture process.
- Mirror Lockup function prevents blur caused by the movement of the mirror during the exposure, ensuring the sharpest possible image capture for professional-caliber applications.
- A Digital Level function displays the vertical and horizontal inclination of the camera, ensuring captured photos remain level to the horizon.