Press coverage (SEL35F18F):
Press text on Explora. Hands-on at Dpreview. Image samples at Sony.net. Samples Gallery at Dpreview. Image samples on Alphauniverse. Product page on Sony.net. Review by ThePhoBlographer. Hands-on review by Ken Rockwell.
Sony Boosts Full-Frame Lens Line-up with Introduction of 35mm F1.8, Lightweight Prime
Sony today announced the latest addition to its E-mount full-frame lens line-up with the introduction of a FE 35mm F1.8 large-aperture wide-angle prime lens, model SEL35F18F.
The compact dimensions and light weight of this full-frame, large-aperture prime lens provide mobility and convenience for shooting a wide range of subjects from everyday snapshots, food photography, landscapes, night scenes and more. The new lens provides outstanding corner-to-corner image quality from a maximum F1.8 aperture and its quiet autofocus and tenacious tracking performance make it a great choice for both stills and movie shooting. Its small size mean it is equally suited to APS-C as well as full-frame bodies, offering a 52.5mm equivalent[i] focal length that is perfect for snapshots, portraits and more.
High resolution and large-aperture full-frame performance in compact and lightweight lens
- Large F1.8 maximum aperture, weighing in at just 280 grams and measuring 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length); this new lens sets a new standard for portability.
- Smart optical construction including an aspherical element to suppress aberration and deliver high resolution throughout the entire image frame. 9-blade circular aperture enables beautiful bokeh.
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m and maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography.
Versatile control and handling for a wide range of imaging needs
- Conveniently placed, customisable focus hold button and a focus mode switch for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus.
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control.
- Dust and moisture resistant design[ii] add to the versatility and reliability of this new lens and invoke a feeling of confidence in the user.
Quiet AF with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills
- Fast, precise and quiet linear-motor AF drive system for precise focus for both stills and movies where “wobbling” is employed for delicate continuous focus control.
“A 35mm prime lens is a go-to lens for so many photographers as its versatility means that it is the right choice for so many different kinds of shot,” said Yann Salmon-Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing for Digital Imaging, Sony Europe. “Our new 35mm FE lens combines brilliant corner to corner clarity with a truly lightweight design and we are confident that it will appeal to a wide range of stills and movie shooters.”
Pricing and Availability
The FE 35mm F1.8 will ship in Europe in August 2019, priced at approximately €700.
For full product details, please visit: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sel35f18f
A product video on the new FE 35mm F1.8 canbe viewed at: https://youtu.be/5DCL7tYmEnE
A variety of exclusive stories, videos and exciting new content shot with the newest cameras and other Sony α products can be found at
https://www.sony.co.uk/alphauniverse. Sony’s European photography hub is available in 22 languages and details product news, competitions and an up-to-date list of Sony events in each country.
[i]35mm full frame equivalent
[ii]Not guaranteed to be fully dust and moisture resistant
The PROS of this lens seems to be the great IQ (see image samples) and features (focus switch and hold button). But the price is quite high. So here is the question:
HOT REMINDER: There will be two more announcements soon!
Sigma FE lens launch on July 11 at 9am London time:
– 35mm f/1.2 FE (Premium construction, Lot of HR elements in construction, record low aberrations, Record MTF of any FF lens at F1.2, Ultra fast and silent AF, made also for video).
– 14-24mm f/2.8 FE (smaller than currentDSLR version)
– 45mm f/2.8 FE (retro model with physical aperture ring, however it still has AF. Very nice build and small size).
– 24-70mm f/2.8 FE and 70-200mm f/2.8 FE are on the roadmap (unclear if Sigma will unveil this on July 11)
Important: All these lenses are designed from ground up for Mirrorless Full Frame systems only (no DSLR version)
Sony camera/lens launch on July 17 at 3pm London time:
– At least one “secret camera model” which we have been told it’s not APS-C
– There will be a new RX camera