One of my very long time trusted sources had the chance to see the two new NEX-FF cameras. For obvious reason he cannot unveil specs but he shared two short impressions and also corrected some points of David Kilpatrick’s report. This is what he told me:
1) The two NEX-FF cameras are great and the camera he likes most is definitely the High End version. Both feature the same (new) sensor.
2) David Kilpatrick is not correct when saying the camera is an interchangeable lens mount version of the RX1. The NEX-FF are clearly based on the [shoplink 8454]Sony NEX-7[/shoplink] design. And yes, they are about 20% bigger than the NEX-7.
3) The cameras do not have a Fuji alike hybrid viewfinder.
4) All E-mount lenses will work on both, the NEX-FF and NEX-APS-C cameras (obviously APS-C lenses will work in crop mode on FF E-mount cameras)
5) He didn’t like the lenses. The zooms are to big and the primes not fast enough. The NEX-FF camera will appeal pro photographer but Sony didn’t make the right lenses yet (so he says). He hopes they do it in future.
A fast 35mm, 50mm and 85mm (all f/1.4) should have been made for the system right from the start. Instead we will get a 35mm f/2.8, 55mm f/1.8 and likely a 85mm f/1.8 Zeiss lenses. Good lenses but still not as good as hoped. We will have to use third-party [shoplink 19605 ebay]Leica M Lenses[/shoplink], [shoplink 19923 ebay]Voigtlander M lenses[/shoplink], [shoplink 16763 ebay]Canon FD lenses[/shoplink], [shoplink 19360 ebay]Zeiss ZM lenses[/shoplink] and more…on our NEX-FF get some more “interesting” focal length and aperture. Send me your third-party lens tests done on the VG900. They will be very useful to read now that the NEX-FF is coming!
P.S.: Can you suggest Sony a bunch of Full Frame lenses they have to develop? Comment this post and I will sum your suggestion in a soon to be published POLL. Thanks!
Message to sources: You can send me more info anonymously by using the contact form you see on the very right of your browser. You can also contact me directly at email@example.com.
Reminder (SR = Sonyrumor):
SR1=probably fake rumor
SR2=rumor from unknown sources
SR3=50% chance it is correct
SR4=rumor from known sources
SR5=almost certainly correct!