I really have a lot of respect for Sigma. They are a small “family company” doing great lenses without outsourcing anything of their production process. And some of the best A-mount lenses we have so far are from Sigma:
- The 50mm f/1.4 ART lens which is almost as good as the 4 times more expensive Otus: The lens can be preordered in USA Amazon at BHphoto and Adorama. And in Europe at WexUK and WexDe.
- The 18-35mm f/1.8 fastest zoom of the world (here on Amazon, Adorama and BHphoto.).
And Sigma promises a lot more exciting product releases in 2015. Sigma CEO MR.Kazuto Yamaki have been interviewed at Reviewed and at Cnet. And those are some of they key info he released:
1) Sigma said they are working on unique zoom and prime lenses and they hope they can release them both in 2015.
2) Interesting story about the 18-35mm f/1.8 lens: “When I started the project I told the engineer, “You don’t need to care about the quality, because it’s the world’s first. It’s really challenging. Your mission is just to make the lens f/1.8 zoom, period.” And I did not expect, actually, that high quality!”
3) When asked if Sigma will make lenses for the FE system the answer is: “I can’t comment on any specific product, but in general we would like to expand our product lineup for compact system mirrorless cameras.”